- News is defined as Newsworthy information about recent events or happenings, especially as reported by news media.
- Timing: This is important in news. News means things are NEW. Everyone wants to know the latest news, not old news. Old news is quickly discarded. Today is news, although todays news will be old news tomorrow.
- Significance: The number of people affected by the story is important. Get the attention of various groups. Such as Georgia Southern student missing.
- Proximity: Stories that happen close to us or with people that we have a connection to is more significant. Proximity does not mean geographical distance. It’s more like ‘neighborhood news.’ You want to know what happens in your state, town, neighborhood, friend network, ect.
- Prominence: Celebrities get more coverage because people are more interested in them than a regular person on the street. people get more coverage just because they are famous.
- Human Interest: Human interest stories appeal to emotion. They want you to laugh or cry when reading or listening to the news.